
HELLO ~ We live in Harris County? I'm freaking!
Just an update on "IKE"! We will be meeting him face to face sometime tomorrow night or early Saturday morning!
Look at the above map...do you see Houston on the map? That is where I am! Also you see where it says Lufkin on the top of the map ~ our lake house it between there and Houston!
I took the following info from our local news channel website:
HOUSTON -- Harris County ordered a mandatory evacuation Thursday for some areas as residents along the southeast Texas coast head to higher ground as the models predicting Hurricane Ike's path indicate it could devastate the area, KPRC Local 2 reported.
"Friday is when we'll really start to feel some effects here in Houston, some of those outer rain bands," KPRC Local 2 meteorologist Anthony Yanez said. "You'll also notice some of those tropical storm force winds tomorrow (Friday) morning along the coast. Today (Thursday) is the calm before the storm."
Hurricane force winds extend 115 miles from Ike's center and tropical storm force winds extend 255 miles.
"About 1 a.m. Saturday it's going to begin to make landfall as a Category 3 -- it wouldn't surprise me at all if it's a Category 4," Yanez said. "It is going to spend much of Saturday moving out of here."
Houston and Harris County officials asked employers to only require essential employees go to work on Friday to ease traffic for those who need to evacuate.
Twenty-five years ago, Hurricane Alicia, a Category 3 storm, devastated our area, turning houses into kindling and knocking out power and water for weeks.
I was here for Alicia ~ I was a kid but I remember it ~ all of it! It was devastating! We were without power for over two weeks! My mom and dad have 10 acres of land we lost over 100 trees! I don't know how our house didn't get hit and torn to pieces?!?!? I hope and pray for all my friends, family, co-workers and any other person facing this fierce storm are okay!
I went to the store and stocked up on junk food yesterday! Bread, lunch meat, chips, bean dip, cookies, etc! I will say that Mr. "S" and I will NOT go hungry! My dad has a generator at his house so once the storm goes through we will go out to his house for lights, tv, bbq pit and ac! I won't be able to get on the Internet though! I really think Mr. "S" and I will be safe! Our apartments are 3 stories high and we live on the bottom floor! We should have plenty of shelter from the other apartments above and around us! At least I feel like we will be safe!
Please keep all of us in your prayers!!!!
If I receive more news updates I will do another post!

Look at the map above and also the maps below and see how much IKE has moved into the Houston area!!!




















9 comments:
I hope you are on high ground - The first floor is OK if you don't get flooded.
You are going to have a real adventure! Be safe.
Kristin
I heard about Houston yesterday, and I pathetically had to ask my husband where Houston was on the map of Texas...stay safe!
I am thinking about you!!!
AHHHH I will be praying for you. I lived in Harris county when i lived there. We were looking at this weekend but then this storm came so we are looking at the first weekend at Oct.
Remember we will be parting this weekend since Texas and ARKANSAS are playing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Stay safe:( I will be thinking of and praying for you!!
Would you consider going to ride out the storm WITH your dad? The first floor has dangers too - flooding, collapsing floors above??? Yes, I'm a pessimist but I don't want on of my dearest friends to be hurt at ALL!!! Can you evacuate after work tonight?
Lufkin (I think) is where my estranged father lives - he chose to cut me out of his life but I still worry.... this whole storm is freaking me out.
We're in the mandatory evacuation area (starts at noon today), but we're still waiting. Last time, we waited and headed south (what you would think would be towards the storm, but the storm moved north after everyone else was headed north). That's the plan again.
They said it's taking 2 1/2 hours just to make it downtown from Clear Lake at this time.
I must be quite a bit older than you. I was 18 when Alicia hit, and I remember it well, too.
We're just sitting tight for now.
Girl I was totally worried about this hitting you! I am praying that God will protect you and your friends!
Leave the area if it starts to get worse. We don't want those other floors above you to fall in! Be smart and stay safe! Luv you girlie!
Godspeed, my sweet friend. Email me.
Post a Comment