April 14, 2008

I'm a LOBSTER but we had a GREAT weekend!

This weekend was GREAT! I had a blast...believe it or not I even helped hang boards under the eve's of the house! Dad and Mr. "S" couldn't hang the 12' sections of soffit made of Hardiplank (which is a very HEAVY and very DELICATE material) so I had to JUMP right in and help!!!! Of course there are NO pictures of me helping because I was the only one taking pictures! Mr. "S" was on one ladder, I was on one ladder on the other end and dad was in the middle holding a board up to hold the middle! Let me just tell you...that stuff is HEAVY and NOT easy to hold whatsoever! My arms were burning!


I even took a trip into town to visit our friendly Lowe's! I had to purchase some extra boards that we needed!!!! Do you know there were about 20 guys on the lumber isle and NOT one of them offered to help me load the 2x6x12 treated boards (treated wood is extra heavy)!!! It was very heavy and long so YES, I struugled a little bit! Finally this old man came walking up to offer me a hand and I told him no thanks but I appreciate it (I already had the biggest piece I needed loaded on my cart)! This poor little old man had a hard time loading his own boards...I felt so bad for him...he was so little and cute!!! Any ways I paid for the wood and rolled it out to the truck! Then I had to figure out how to load the 12' board into the back of the truck so I went from one corner to the other so it was sitting across the bed!!! I noticed the little old man watching me from the other side of the parking lot to make sure I was going to be able to load the wood and strap it in (which I did...isn't that the sweetest thing ever)! I should have taken a darn picture of the wood I loaded...yall would have been proud!!! =)

Okay...it's picture time!


I went a little crazy taking pictures of flowers! I wanted all my cold weathered blog friends to see a little bit of TEXAS SPRING!!!! =) I wished you could smell these flowers through the computer!!!


Okay...no on to the boys working!



Mr. "S" taking down the white trim so we can pull down this AWFUL blue plywood!!!!



Dad and Mr. "S" pulling down the "BLUE WOOD"!!! It's gotta go...it's so ugly! I don't know what the people were thinking that owned this before us! We will also be replacing the wooden porch beams you see here! Oh yeah...we will also be replacing the front door! It's UGLY and adding shutters to all the windows!!!



Okay this is where I came in! See how dad and Mr. "S" are holding the soffit in place! I get the ladder in the back and dad stood in the middle! You just can't see me because I'm taking the pic! The hariplank is very heavy but very flimsy!



This is what the exposed eve looked like before we added the hardiplank! You can the facer board that they installed! This was hardiplank as well! They also went under the eve and added some extra support beams!


Fisished project! Well, Almost! Mr. "S" went back and trimmed it all in with wood and I don't have a pic of that! It looks really good though! Way better than this:

The white facer boards and trim was plastic and the wood was this thin sheets of plywood! Parts of the eve was sagging around the house! It won't sag anymore...after this weekend! We still have the front to finish!


Mr. "S" and his dad Art helping set the new decorative post on the front porch!

So that was the weekend! Everything went GREAT! We are VERY PLEASED with our progress!!! We are still waiting on water and electric to be hooked up! That can be any where from 10-20 business days!!!

17 comments:

Beckie said...

You guys made huge progress this weekend!

Is that honeysuckle? I love the smell of honeysuckle!

The Hickmans said...

How exciting! I love making a new house, home!!

CPA Mom said...

wow, i'm tired just watching them. will you be moving out there when it's all done then?

lobster? ever heard of SPF? Tehehehehehehehe.

Have I ever told you about my cousin's photography blog? She lives in Texas too - takes TONS of Texas wildflower pictures...take a look - she is AWESOME inside and out...LIKE YOU!

http://photosbytammy.blogspot.com/

Rachel (Crazy-Is) said...

Wow, they get right there on it with the water and lights, huh?

I love honeysuckle. It's one of my fave things about living in the south.

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

WOW! You all did alot of work. You got alot accomplished. You should've participated int eh weekend warrior meme, because that you were honey!In general, Mommas & Daddy's these days do not teach young bpys to be gentlemen.It's a travisty!
I could almost smell the buttercups blooming. We dont have that yet or the honeysuckle, but the dandelions and wild phlox is blooming so pretty in Alabama.My daughter picked me a huge bouquet last week.
I know your house is going to be so cute-it already is-but even moreso with your special touch.

Alix said...

Wow epic amounts of work, well done and glad you had such a good time doing it!

Why are you a lobster??? Where was the factor 50 and hat - bad J!

Can't believe those men how unhelpful.

Mandy said...

I love seeing some men hard at work!! Way to go Mr. S and Art (and J)!! They made awesome progress. Can't wait to see more pics as the work continues!!

Those flower pics are awesome! Glad to see you hard at work too!! :)

la bellina mammina said...

GORGEOUS flowers, girlfriend!!

but I was hoping to see your royal redness!!! LOL!

frannie said...

WOW!!! I am so proud of y'all!!!!!!!!!!!! You did an amazing job! I can't believe how much work you got done this weekend! Good for you!!

and the pictures are great! I love the flowers--- mmmmm, honeysuckle!

Nicole said...

Where in Texas are you from??? I was born in Houston then in high school moved to Arkansas... You pictures make me miss the wonderful warm weather. It was 33 this morning here.

Unknown said...

Looks like great fun! I love house renovations! And thanx for the beautiful flowers!

Nicole said...

AHHHHH Livingston... I love it up there. We were just done for Thanksgiving. Then we will be there for the 4th. I miss Houston, but after a few days I am ready to come home. The weather in July kills my hair!!!

Anonymous said...

Those flowers are absolutely beautiful! I am glad you had a great weekend-- it looks like you got a ton done too. Can't wait to see the finished product!

Tammy said...

Thanks for dropping by my site! Love your pics of the lake house and the flowers!

Steffi said...

How exciting to see your house!I would love to make my vacations there ;O))!

SJINCO said...

Love your photo's on this post! And the men, such hard workers! Sounds like you guys had a great weekend.

Anonymous said...

Looks like you got so much done! I can't wait to see when it is done.